Wakeham's Farm Horses and Wagon
The horse in the shafts was Dobbin, held by Charlie Barden the blacksmith. Dobbin and the wagon owned by Herbert Smith, Wakeham’s Farm, Fairlight. The white horse in the traces was called Blossom, owned by Charlie Barden and held by Alan Turner. The photo was taken a few days after D-Day (6th June, 1944) outside “Nedrabs” (Bardens backwards!) cottage which was built by the Barden’s. Details come from Tony Turner. Tony wrote this was the “Last Sussex Wagon”.
The photo was taken in Pett, but part of Pett used to be in the boundary of Fairlight at that time!